May 20, 2014

Textual description of firstImageUrl

How To Fix W3 Total Cache Sitemap Not Found And Missing Images Problems

|
I have read folks having various problems when installing W3 Total Cache plugin.  From Error 403 Forbidden, 500 Internal Server Error, images and files missing, and even the White Screen of Death!

W3 Total Cache Horror!

The other day after I installed W3 Total Cache plugin to one of my blogs, and I ended up with:

- Sitemap not working (404 Not Found)

- Images from blog posts missing and when I clicked on the  missing image, it said: 403 Forbidden : You don't have permission to access wpload/image/.....

- All thumb prints on Media Library all missing too.

 *I am NOT sure whether it is the fault of W3 Total Cache plugin.

Anyway, this is how I fixed the problems.

First, I deleted away W3 Total Cache plugin.

Missing Images

1. Go to hosting account (for me it is Bluehost).

2. Click on Hotlink Protection at Cpanel listed under Security.

3. Make sure all the URLs in the box are correctly written (both with and without www).

As for my case, I found one of the URLs in the box (URLs to allow access:) had been "tempered". There were some slashes and other symbols.

I am not sure why this happened. I had it changed back to the correct URL and then clicked on the green Submit button.

Missing Sitemap

1. Log into WordPress admin.

2. Go to Settings and click on Permalinks.

3. Just click on the blue color Save Changes button.

That was how I got both the missing images and not found sitemap fixed.

WARNING: If you are not tech-savvy, please do NOT install W3 Total Cache plugin. It can give you endless problems.

And even after you just deactivated and deleted it, there are still traces of W3 Total Cache all over your root directory in your host server and your .htaccess file. You need to totally have them removed them.