April 18, 2014

How To Fix Automatically Detected Author Name On Webpage: No Guide

|
I was using the Google Structured Data Testing Tool to check out one of my blogs.

When I entered my Google Plus profile in the box and clicked the blue color Verify Authorship button, I noticed the third line showed Automatically detected author name on webpage:No

I sought help from Google Product Forums, but I still could not get rid of this problem.

Then after much  tinkering on my own, I accidentally managed to get it done.

Here is how to fix Automatically detected author name on webpage:No

The key thing is your author byline needs to link back to your site.

Author byline is your name which is usually find under the blog post title. It could be: By XXXX or Written By XXXX.

For those of you whose name which does not have a link, this is how you do it:

1. Go to your WordPress Dashboard.

2. Scroll down to Appearance which is on the left hand side of the page.

3. Then click on Editor.

4. Select Single Posts(single.php) which is under the heading Templates. Scroll down and you should find it there.

5. Look for this code: <?php the_author() ?>

6. Add _link after the word author.

7. This is how it should look like: <?php the_author_link(); ?>

8. Next go back to WordPress Dashboard. Look for Users and click on Your Profile.

9. Scroll down the page, and under Contact Info, look for Website.

10. Fill in the empty space with your website or blog URL.

11. Click on the blue Update Profile button.

Now go Google Structured Testing Tool and check it again.

Now you should see your name appears after the line Automatically detected author name on webpage: